Thursday, April 9, 2015

Blogging A to Z - H


Author:  Harris, Charlaine
I'm sure that most people associate Charlaine Harris with the True Blood (Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire) series, but I'd like to highlight some of her other works. The Harper Connelly Mysteries feature a brother and sister (step) who travel the South helping people who have lost loved ones.  After Harper was struck by lightening, she realized she can find dead people and share their final moment. Her stepbrother is her manager/handler/companion. Darker in tone than Sookie, I enjoyed them just as much.  Harris has started a new trilogy about a town in Texas where everyone has secrets and some of them are pretty explosive. The second in the set is being released soon and I've already pre-ordered it.

Book:  Hundredth Man, The by Jack Kerley
As usual, I'm highlighting the first book in a series that I enjoy.  This is the first of the Carson Ryder series, about a pair of detectives (rookie and senior) who form a special psychological investigative unit to solve special crimes. The Junior Detective, Carson Ryder, has a past which gives him special insights into the crimes he is investigating.  This is a great series, but unfortunately, I believe the author was unable to find a US publisher after the first few books, so the later books in the series are harder to find (but not impossible). I recommend making the effort.

1 comment:

SENCO Cat Herder said...

I love Charlaine Harris as the author of the Aurora Teagarden mysteries - I spent a lovely week on a canal boating holiday reading the entire omnibus edition each night - I'd go to bed early so I could cuddle up with this book - totally recommend them :) Lovely to meet you via the A to Z Challenge. I'll keep a look out for the books by Jack Kerley (though they may not have made it to the U.K.)
Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace