Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Blogging A to Z - A


And we're off!  I've never done anything like this before, but here goes.  First, welcome to anyone who is stopping by here for the first time (or the second or third...). My posts are mainly about my crafting, menu planning, or my 101 things I want to do.  On a personal note, I'm a 50-something Project Director from Everett (north of Seattle), Washington and counting the days until I can retire, hopefully to the Oregon Coast. Married with 3 children, 2 grandchildren and 1 very spoiled Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

So let's get started with Books and Authors.

Author:  Asimov, Isaac
I have always loved science-fiction. I think the first SF book I read was Journey to the Mushroom Planet in 3rd or 4th grade. It was a shared love with my dad and one of the first adult authors he introduced me to (after Heinlein) was Isaac Asimov. From the Foundation series to I, Robot to Lije Bailey and R. Daneel Olivaw. Just thinking about these stories (and Isaac) brings back fond memories of discussing them with my dad.

Book:  A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Absolutely one of the best books I have ever read, and I've read a lot. I read this back when it first came out (1989) in hardback (which was rare, because I usually couldn't afford them) but I had enjoyed his earlier works so I splurged. I do a lot of reading on the bus to and from work, and quickly found that this is NOT a good book to read in public. Considering my uncontrollable laughter at the nativity scene and my open sobbing during other parts, it just was not a wise decision to read this where other people could see/hear me. This is also one of the few books that I've read more than once. For me to do that, well, it just doesn't happen very often. If you haven't read this before, I envy you. Grab it now, and introduce yourself to the world of God's Instrument, Owen Meany, and his best friend, John Wheelwright. You won't be sorry.

3 comments:

S. L. Hennessy said...

Asimov is one of my favorite writers. He was my A post a few years ago actually. Great post!

Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

Kate said...

I've never read A Prayer for Owen Meany. Thanks for the recommendation. Great start to the challenge!

Daryl said...

For some reason, A Prayer for Owen Meany has been sitting unread on my bookshelf for years. Thanks for the reminder to dust it off and get reading. Good luck with the rest of the challenge!

Daryl (Something Out of Nothing #1180)